Thursday, March 13, 2014

Golden Teeth & Politics

Spring visited today! It's been a winter of oft-closed daycare, flus, and colds, so we are all desperate for a change.  Yesterday at 2:30 I'd had enough.  I took an hour of personal leave, scooped up both kids, and skipped town to see Mr. Peabody.  We bought the biggest popcorn they offered, sat in the back of the near-empty theater, and laughed raucously whenever we felt like it.  It was refreshing.

Adam had seven baby molars capped off a couple of weeks ago.  He went through anesthesia like a champ and is so proud of his "golden teeth."  He called them golden until his sister teased him.  Now he calls them silver.  Mispronunciations and misnomers are so precious; one sound round of teasing, though, and they disappear into thin air.

Abby is six but still calls hamburger hang-a-bur.  I like it.  I will forever treasure the days of birthday puh-cakes (Abby) and pahnilla shakes (Adam).

Adorable language faux pas and all, we talk a lot of religion and politics around our house - and during most car trips, too.  Who knew that the developing mind is intensely interested in the topics most adults set aside in company?  We talk about presidents, past and present, and God vs. Satan.  We talk about Obama and helping the poor and doing our fair share.  We talk about heaven and hell.  And then everything usually comes around to Olaf from Frozen, somehow.




1 comment:

Carissa said...

My favorite mispronunciation of Alia's is "yeddo" and sometimes "deddo" for "yellow." :)