It's homecoming week here, which I help with as an advisor, so every night is pretty booked through the game on Friday. Abby got to stay with me tonight and put stickers on candy for the parade (stickers? candy? parade? oh, my!), paint a sign for a float, carry chips for Powderpuff concessions, and draw all over my white boards. She loved every minute EXCEPT this one:
She ran ahead into my classroom to see what was going on and was welcomed by some friendly 9th grade girls who got her up into a desk to help. I got waylaid in the hallway and, when I reached my room, I saw her with fists of candy. "Abby, how many have you eaten!?" I said sternly. Her face crumpled under the weight of a false accusation, and she buried her head in my leg, crying embarrassed tears. In the hallway she finally explained, "I didn't eat any, Mama. I was jis' helping."
I felt about as tall as the Twizzler she was still clutching.
1 comment:
Oh the poor little girl! Life is full of hurts, even unintentional ones. I bet she'll forgive you.
Post a Comment