This has been a summer of learning patience. We have been practicing how to wait on paperwork, on appraisals, on signatures, on box availability at the grocery store, on harvest, on flooring, on appliances, on estimates, on back orders, on drying paint, on the price of wheat, on potty training, on new desks for my classroom, on rain, on internet service, on tub spraying. Wait. Trust. Don't worry.
Though we haven't moved in to our new house yet, because we're waiting on a bathroom to use, my internet is, as of five minutes ago, up and running in a corner of a room in which we're...you've guessed it...waiting for carpet!
This morning while I was hooking up the various cables that make a computer useful, Adam came to hover nearby and inquire about a spider that had just escaped the business end of my surge protector. He placed his little hand on my shoulder so sweetly that it inspired from me a barrage of, "You are handsome! And you are brave! And you are kind! And you are my son!" [I think this is coming from the book The Help!]
To each charge he nodded assent and said, "Huh" in a definite tone, as if to say, "Check." To the last one, though, he amended, "I - I - am Daddy son, too."
"Yes," I agreed. "You are all of those things."
He looked back at my full eyes and said, "You are sthings too, Mama."
"Thank you."
"You welcome." And he walked away to play pirates.
No comments:
Post a Comment