Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Dressing in Red, White, and Blue

Happy 4th of July!  Today is our annual celebration with Eric's family out at Darlene's farm - swimming, water slide, volleyball, games, food, you name it!  It's a much-anticipated day, complete with new RW&B outfits from Nana.

I was removing sticky popsicle and lemonade spills from the kitchen floor this morning, mopping in my volleyball knee pads (it works SO WELL!), when I heard a ruckus.  Abby was trying to dress Adam in his party outfit, and he was having none of it.  He started by declining politely, "No, thank you, Abby," but it didn't hold water with a persistent sister, wielding a flag shirt and cajoling.  It turned into, "No!  No! I don't want you - do it, Abby," upon which, I imagine, though I couldn't see for sure, followed a shoulder slump and head hang on the way back to her bedroom.

Adam got a rag and knelt down beside me.  We mopped together for awhile, and then he said, "I sink Abby - Abby is sad."

"Yes," I said.  "I think she really wanted to get you ready for the party."

"Uh-huh."  Mop.  Mop.  "I don't want Abby - Abby change my diaper."

"I know, Baby, it's okay.  That's your choice."  Mop.  Pause.

I looked up and my sweet little boy had the rag in one hand and his other index finger on his chin.  He was on his haunches.  "Hmm," he said.  "Abby won't be sad - any more."  With that decision he marched off to Abby's room where I heard, "Abby, you - you can change my diaper!"

No comments: