Sunday, May 29, 2011

I-Love-You Duck

Thank you for your prayers for Adam on Friday!  He came through perfectly and has been acting 100% like himself since surgery.  Our biggest battle is figuring out how not to get any water in his ears.  I bought earplugs, but he plucks them out and looks at me, quizzically, while dipping them in the bath water or trying to taste them.  I frantically shout, "No!" so he tries to put them back in, which makes me shout louder.  It's an escalating cycle, because then he stops trying to reinsert them and dips them in the water again...!

Abby and I are busy planning a flip-flop birthday party for June 4th - a total copy of the theme her friend at daycare had and talked about for weeks.  We counted out the days on the calendar and found it was still seven days away yesterday, but I was awakened nevertheless this morning by a warm body next to the bed, standing over me patiently.  I stirred, and she said politely, "Excuse me, Mama.  Excuse me, but how old am I today?"

"Still three, honey," I mumbled.

"Oh."  She turned and went away.

And one last favorite from last night:

We were playing Duck, Duck, Goose with our good friends Garrett and Linda and their two kids, hoping some of their active parenting will rub off on us, and Abby went around the circle:  "Duck, duck, blue duck, red duck, I-love-you duck (to Eric)."  I think I was the goose.  Thanks for such a great time and dinner last night, Garrett and Linda!

1 comment:

Carissa said...

At least she says "Excuse me"! :)