And the quest for an award continues!
Sunday was called Awards Sunday, because it was the last Sunday School until fall, and some children would be promoted to a new level. Abby's Sunday School teacher wisely prepped the three and four-year-olds, saying, "Your name is going to be called for an award, and then you'll need to walk to the front of the church to accept it."
Abby ran to me after her class, eyes wide and shining: "Mama, mama! I - I - I - I'm gonna get an AWARD!"
"Great," I thought. "We'll finally have fulfillment of this goal."
True to her teacher's word, the awards began with Abby's class, and she walked forward hesitantly, loopingly, until she was the last child to shake the teacher's hand. She was given a Bible tied with a ribbon. She took it doubtfully and looped back to her seat. I hugged her, and church went on.
It wasn't until the closing hymn had ended that I noticed big tears falling from a crumpled face. "Mama," she choked, "I didn't get an award."
Awards, you see, are still gold and shiny and glittery...and elusive to my little girl.
1 comment:
The poor girl! :) I just might have to make her a glittery award for turning 4 years old.
Post a Comment