There comes a time in every child's life when the counting begins:
"[Child's name], [insert command]. One. Two. Three." On three, if [command] has not been followed, the consequence is given. It's pretty black and white.
What's gray is deciding whether the child is ready for the counting. Adam is walking that line right now. His favorite time of day is when he's naked after his bath. He tours from room to room, teases me by coming close, and then dashes away or crawls under his crib to chortle.
Tonight I lay out the towel, Baby Magic, diaper, and pajamas in his bedroom and called, "Adam!"
He appeared around the corner immediately, tucked, and rolled himself out on the towel, perfectly centered. I was so shocked that I marveled for a a few seconds, giving him time to roll and disappear, shrieking with laughter.
Abby watched his gleeful exit and then lifted a finger to instruct. Her eyes were solemn, advice-laden: "Now...now...YOU are da mudder."
No comments:
Post a Comment