Friday, April 18, 2008

First Word!

Well, it's not one of the two words new parents dream about hearing as they cuddle their little bundle.

Instead, it is . . .

"Boh-uh."

Translation? "Bottle."

We'd been noticing for the last week that we got a lot of "B" sounds when the bottle came out, and that they were different from the rapid babbling of "Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba." No, they were a drawled "Boh-uh" kind of sound, but we weren't sure if they were intentional or not.

This morning Abby found a bottle from last night on the floor and tried to stick it in her mouth. I got it away from her, put it behind my back, and waltzed over to a high counter where I set it out of reach. Her eyes followed my every move. Then I took her hands and walked her down the hall to another room where she executed a neat U-turn and headed us right back out to the kitchen counter. Then, looking up, she said very distinctly, "Boh-ul. Boh-ul. Boh-ul."

"Ma-ma" and "Da-da" will come. They will.

No comments: