Monday, June 3, 2013

Six Years Ago

Six years ago I was not blogging.  I was not sleeping.  I was not thinking about how to top a Bible School lesson where you magically cut a banana in half from across the room (seriously, what do you do on the rest of the nights?).  No, six years today I was getting ready to meet the baby that has grown into my first grader!


It's been a week of firsts for Abby, something I didn't know would keep happening.  But they do.

1. Abby blew her first bubble out of Orange Crush Bubble Yum on Saturday.  She was in the bathtub, and we both screamed in celebration!  I still remember where I was for this milestone - the basement of my grandma's house trailing along after Mom who was looking at the water heater.  It was grape.

2. Yesterday Abby rode her bike, alone, all the way around the block and well out of sight of my pacing in the driveway, pretending to check on flowers.  She was gone for four minutes.  She scored a play date on the ride, too, which meant she blew a kiss and biked away, solo, to a friend's house after returning.  That was weird.  She was so alive - so excited - as she pedaled away on her own.

3. Abby and I played our first game of Boggle last week.  MANY more to come!  Thanks, Mom and Gram, for all of the Boggle games you let me win.  They decided my career.

4. Abby helped me babysit last night when a friend's boys came over.  I realized she's a better babysitter than I am.

And I can't neglect to mention that...

1. As of a month ago, Adam buckles into the car by himself.

2. Yesterday while Big Sis was gone on her bike, Adam helped me wash windows.  He went into the house and got fresh water for us to use with our Norwex cloths all by himself.  Sometimes he washed a window I'd already dried...but then we'd dry it again.

3. And tonight Adam went to his first night of VBS with his best friend and stayed for three hours by himself while I was helping with a different class.  He liked it!  It's knights and maidens and dragons this year - a PERFECT beginning to school for him!

You know, this morning we met a friend at the park, and when it was time to go, everyone walked to the car without tantrums.  Everyone had dry pants and buckled efficiently.  Then we drove away.  It was...easy.  I'm so happy to celebrating Ab's 6th birthday tomorrow!  I'm not nostalgic...yet.  I am too much in love with the items listed above to feel the pinpricks of nostalgia right now.



1 comment:

Carissa said...

WOW!!! All of these things amaze me. Happy, happy birthday, dear Abby!