Monday, March 18, 2013

Understanding Resurrection

I spent the weekend at a retreat south of town - a Daniel Weekend, especially for Christian educators.  It was refreshing, but more than that, I feel bolder in my faith - like Daniel.  It was put on by an organization called Tentmakers, and the idea is that just like the apostle Paul shared the gospel as a tent maker, so can we share the gospel in whatever living we've been called to.

I left the weekend to pick up Abby and Adam from the church where they were playing on the fringes of practice for the upcoming passion play in which Eric helps with crew duties.  (Thank you to Eric's parents for all of the babysitting this weekend!)

I found the kids in the darkened sanctuary, watching practice for the scene where Jesus is nailed to the cross.  Knowing they'd been there for hours, I whispered, "Are you ready to go?  We'll get movies!  We'll go home.  Mama will snuggle with you."  No.  Wide-eyed and without hesitation, they declined.  They wanted to watch the unfolding scene.

Adam climbed on my lap, fixated as the soldiers mock-whipped and pushed "Jesus" to the front of the church.  He collapsed under their abuse, and the heavy wooden cross fell, too.  After awhile, with input from the director, they began "nailing" his hands to the cross with ringing blows.

Abby, beside me, held my hand in rapt attention, knowing the end would be victorious.  Adam's eyes were incredulous as he tried to interpret what he was seeing in whispers so as not to interrupt practice.

"Mama!  Those - those naughty guys - they - they are being naughty to Jesus."

"I know, honey, they killed him."

"Someone should - should stop them!  They are being willy, willy naughty to Jesus."

"I know, babe, but he died because he loves us."

"Because he lubs us?  He died?"

"Yes, but he doesn't stay dead!  He comes back to life!"

"Is the bear - is the bear going to eat Jesus in the cave?"

"Nope, no bear."

"Where did Jesus go?  He - he has a blue shirt."

[seeing Mary finding the sheets] "Is that - that Jesus's body?"

"No!   He's alive again!  Look!  There he is!"

"He's - he's - alive?  Jesus is alive?  His body is alive again?"

"Yes!  Happy Easter!"

No comments: