Sunday, September 30, 2012

My Naughty Superhero

Today we went out to eat after church with Eric's parents.  The burger joint was busy with what appeared to be only one person taking orders at the front.  The honey mustard we ordered was forgotten, so I went to stand in line to ask for it.  I'm just not one of those people who can nonchalantly cut in at the front to ask for what was forgotten.  So I stood there...and stood there...and a group of rowdy college students in front of me started giving the employee a hard time, harassing him about why there was no DirectTV and why he wasn't wearing a logo on his shirt and why he was so slow at taking orders.

My father-in-law got his honey mustard for himself by nonchalantly cutting in ahead of the bullies, so I went to sit down, fuming at the treatment of the employee.  I told what I'd witnessed, and the kids asked for it to be repeated about six times.  At that point, Adam finally misunderstood, set down his chicken nugget, and declared:

"Mommy, mommy, if - if they be mean to you I - I will be naughty to them - until, until, they be nice to - to you, Mommy."

I touched my hand to my heart at his sweet pledge. "Thank you!"

"You welcome, Mommy," my superhero returned without hesitation.  And he picked his chicken nugget back up.

No comments: