Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Gas Station

Today I took Abby and Adam into a local gas station and, while we waited our turn, Abby roamed a little. It's harder to keep her under your thumb while holding a plump 7-month-old with no understanding of gravity. Anyway, she was over by the door for awhile and then over by me and then over to the candy aisle where she efficiently stacked up three boxes of Dots and asked if she could have them.

I said, "No, not today."

To my speechless disbelief, she said agreeably, "Okay, Mom. Maybe next time."

I've been coaching her on these phrases for awhile to combat all of the whining that's been going on, but I mostly believed I was just doing it for my own mental health and honestly didn't expect her to use it. Upon hearing the magical words, however, I scooped her up in my free arm and kissed her.

My exultation was dimmed only by the puzzling scene of two muscular young men trying unsuccessully to exit the gas station.

Abby had turned the lock on the door.

1 comment:

Carissa said...

Oh, I laughed and laughed this morning at this story as I read it out loud to Tim. Abby is always doing something interesting and cute!